FAQ FOR NEW FACULTY MEMBERS
Welcome to the Rawls College of Business at Texas Tech University! The purpose of this FAQ is to familiarize you with some of the IT services provided to new faculty members.
What IT equipment is issued to me?
Each faculty member is provided with a Dell Precision T1700 desktop computer and dual monitors. These PCs offer 8GB RAM as well as 500GB solid state hard drives. Software loaded on these computers includes a Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Operating System, Microsoft Office 2013, and Symantec antivirus protection bundle. Also installed on the computer is Adobe Acrobat Pro, Mozilla (Firefox) browser, Flash and Shockwave players, and Skype for Business. Your computer is equipped with a CD/DVD-R.
How do I print or scan?
Please initiate a work order request with Belinda Reyes by calling 742-3188, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. A BACS representative will insure that you are provided permissions to the Area printer (Xerox workstation in each Academic Area office) and set you up with access to documents that you scan on that Xerox machine. If you scan a document on your departmental Xerox machine, you’ll find it in a folder called “scans” which is located on the following network drive: \\bamvm15\scans\your_eraider_username.
What if I need IT help?
BACS support personnel will respond to a request when you call Belinda Reyes at 742-3188 to initiate a work order. Sometimes we don’t even need to come to your office in order to assist you. With the help of Skype for Business and LogMeIn, BACS can often assist you remotely with your computer problem or request.
How may I use the office phone?
Each faculty member has a phone (Polycom CX600) to use for local and long distance calls. Special permissions are required for International calling privileges (speak to your Area Coordinator). Training on the use of your VOIP phone and Skype for Business (previously "Microsoft Lync") is located here. You may also be assigned to a “Response Group.” Video training is available for Response Groups, and can be forwarded to you at your request. Your phone synchronizes with Microsoft Outlook and Skype for Business on your office computer. As you will learn in the training video, Skype for Business gives you access to conference calls, IM, file transfer, etc.
What is Skype for Business?
Microsoft has an integrated communication method for making calls, sending instant messages, conference communication, sending files, or sharing a desktop through the network. Once you are in the TTU Microsoft Exchange email server's Global Address List, communication through this method is available to you. Aside from the training video listed in the FAQ above, you can learn more about Skype for Business here: http://unifiedcommunications.ttu.edu/
Can I access myTTU email when I’m away from the office?
YES. Your email is available through Outlook Web Access here: http://mail.ttu.edu. When you enter credentials, be sure you place a TTU\ (use a BACK SLASH, not a FORWARD SLASH) followed by your eraider username in the “username” field. Put your eraider password in the password field.
How do I avoid becoming locked out when I change my eraider password?
- Before changing your password, be sure to turn off your wireless connection on any portable devices you may own, such as a smartphone, laptop, iPad, etc. As well, go to the “Mail/Contacts/Calendars” on your smartphone, iPad and/or similar device and go to the “account settings” – delete the password that is set for your account -- you will be able to enter the new password later.
- The ideal place to change your password is from your office computer. Go to http://eraider.ttu.edu and change the password for your eraider account.
- Immediately reboot your computer. This is very important, as you are mapped to a number of network resources that are still connected using your old password. By rebooting and logging on with your new password, all of these network resources will automatically connect using the new password you used to log on.
- Once you have rebooted your office computer, open Outlook and if necessary, authenticate using the new password.
- Give yourself about 15 minutes before connecting the wireless on your smartphone, laptop, iPad, or other such device. The fifteen minute wait will assure that your new password has been replicated to all the necessary TTU servers. THEN, turn your wireless connection back on and enter your new password for TTUnet.
- Go back to the “Mail/Contacts/Calendars” on your smartphone, iPad, or other portable device and enter your new password in the account settings. If you are notified that your authentication failed and you are reasonably certain you didn’t make a typographical error, wait another five minutes and enter the password again. Remember that if your authentication fails six times, your account will be locked out for a full 15 minutes.
- At home, be certain to change your password for your VPN connection if you take advantage of remote desktop capability.
What software resources are available for faculty use?
1. Using your Rawls College provided computer, you may log on to http://eraider.ttu.edu for software downloads including: Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, Visual Studio 2012, Adobe Lightroom 4, Adobe Presenter 8, Adobe Captivate 7, Adobe Creative Suite 6, Matlab (http://www.depts.ttu.edu/itts/software/matlab). Installations require administrative rights on your office PC, so please place a work order request with Pam Patton (742-3188) for assistance. With regard to your personal computer (or laptop), you may download and install Microsoft Office, Microsoft Lync, and Symantec Antivirus, available on the “software download” link at http://eraider.ttu.edu.
2. The Rawls College of Business manages a Citrix server in order to provide access to a number of software applications listed below. Software is available to all faculty members upon request. Students are granted access to Citrix applications at a faculty member’s request. If you plan to teach a class which involves access to a Citrix application, please contact Zafar Miller in BACS (email@example.com) with details of your request. The Citrix client is available for download here: http://citrix.ba.ttu.edu. On that page you will find a video tutorial that may be of help in the installation of the client.
What software is available on Citrix?
- SAS 9.4
- SAS Entperprise Miner 13.2
- SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1
- SQL Server Development Suite
- SQL Management Studio 2008
- Excel 2013 (for Mac users)
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developer
Texas Tech University also houses a Citrix server which offers access to SPSS. For more information, go to http://citrix.ttu.edu or contact IT Help Central at 742-HELP (4357).
Does TTU offer software available for purchase?
YES. Some software is available for purchase through IT central in the library basement. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/itts/software/.
BACS will purchase other software for you (such as Stata, Stat Transfer, Camtasia Studio, Endnote) through your Departmental or personal professorship funds. Contact Kathy Suchy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 834-2536 for more information.
- SPSS: $100 new, $80/renewal license/fiscal year
- Stata: $189 IC version 14
- Stat Transfer: $179
- SAS: $120/license/fiscal year
- Camtasia Studio: $179
How can I protect my data?
- On your BA assigned computer, a software client called AppAssure will conduct nightly backups of your “C” drive.
- When BACS first assists you in the setup of your computer and phone, we will “map a network drive” to a 1GB folder reserved for you on a network server. Anything saved in that folder will be backed up on a nightly basis. Your network folder is located at: \\techshare.tosm.ttu.edu\coba\pu\your_eraider_username.
- Some faculty members use personal external hard drives to further protect their data.
- NOTE: Texas Tech University warns against using 3rd party services such as “Dropbox”. For security reasons, no data should be placed on “Dropbox” that involves PII (Personally Identifiable Information) with regard to students, faculty or staff.
I need a personal website for my class materials, etc. Can I have one?
YES! The Rawls College of Business has its own web server, and BACS can create a website for your use. Please fill out the form at http://bacs.ba.ttu.edu/WebServices/DCWebsite.php. Once we receive your request, we will set up a website and send you all the information you will need to get up and running with it.
Does TTU offer Blackboard as a course management tool?
Yes! Please go to http://www.depts.ttu.edu/lms/ to learn about Blackboard at TTU. Here you will find website links for requesting a development shell, Blackboard training, etc.
CLASSROOM TECHNOLOGY: How do I use technology in the classroom?
Every classroom in the BA is equipped with a plethora of technology. Information about classroom technology is available through a BACS classroom training video here. After you have viewed this video, it is important to send an email to BA_MultimediaNotify@ttu.edu to let our Multimedia Specialists know you have completed the video training. One of our crew will then email you the code to unlock the podium so that you can use the equipment. During class, if you run into any problems with the multimedia equipment, call 834-BACS (834-2227) and one of our Multimedia Specialists will assist you.
CLASSROOM TECHNOLOGY: Does RCOBA offer "Lecture Capture" capability?
YES! Every classroom in the College is equipped with Sonic Foundry Mediasite recorders. If you are interested in providing your students with on-demand reviews of your class lectures, contact our BACS Multimedia Specialists at BA_MultimediaNotify@ttu.edu and visit with them about your situation.